September 13, 2010

Day 292-The Sexes

Had a great time this weekend with the family in town. Watched a lot of tennis. Ate a lot of great food (Love prosciutto and parmesan? Check out Mario Batali's new endeavor EATALY). But I couldn't shake what was around me.

Couples.

I wasn't seeking these people out, but everywhere I turned, it seemed that New Yorkers were paired up like they were about to board an ark or something. And once you notice a few couples, you pick up on more and more and more. The people canoodling in front of me at Madison Square Park did not improve matters, but even more so, it really frustrated me that 1-I noticed at all and 2-I felt left out. I had just posted that I was acclimating pretty well to Off the Market living, too. Why am I suddenly missing being in a relationship?

Thankfully, I was saved from over-analyzing from my acting teacher when he bestowed upon me a good-looking scene partner who I'll be working with for the coming month(s) AND a scene by Dorothy Parker (how weird that only the day before I had been wanting a copy of her collection and here was not only my excuse to buy it, but live it out?).

Not familiar with Ms. Parker? Well, if you love quick wit coupled with martinis and 1920's fashion, you must check her out. Here are a few teasers:

"Brevity is the soul of lingerie."

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."

"I wish I could drink like a lady. I can take one or two at the most. Three and I'm under the table. Four and I'm under the host."

"I hate writing, I love having written."

"Four be the things I'd have been better without: love, curiosity, freckles and doubt."

Parker was a critic, a member of the infamous Algonquin Round Table and a writer in her own right; I'm working on one of her hilarious short stories, The Sexes, which takes a clever look at the ridiculous misspeaking which occurs between genders. Who needs relationships? I'll be busy fighting in the battle of the sexes this semester.

Before sparring, it's time to get to know my partner-quickly and intimately-while we figure out how to work together and whether we have the chemistry it takes to go the distance.

Hmm...sounds a bit like dating, doesn't it?

I'm Off the Market & In the Moment

No comments:

Post a Comment