September 2, 2011

Living the Expat Life

Hi guys. Sorry for being so M.I.A. It's been a whirlwind of two weeks. I've been in London, Paris, and back to London again living the expat life. And I gotta say, life abroad agrees with me. Sleeping late every day (which for me, late is 10am!), Earl Grey, scones or pain au chocolate, bottles and bottles of wine, and crepes and croque monsieurs. Of course, there are other things to do besides eat, though eating my way through Europe can't be beat. We also powered through two days of wandering the streets seeing the Louvre, London Bridge, Greenwich market, the Globe and of course, hours spent drinking champagne watching the Eiffel Tower light show. I can't remember the last time I felt so relaxed. Sure there's no 9-5 grind when you're on vacation and my blackberry and cell didn't work so I really had a true escape, but I am point blank in love with these two amazing cities. Not to mention, my friends live in the equivalent of Battery Park/Wall Street so every afternoon there are happy hours filled with oh so cute Brits. For my next trip, I'm already planning to forgo sightseeing and instead, park myself at a cafe table every evening for the post-work ritual...

And now I'm back to the city, working hard for the money I didn't worry about spending abroad (the only downside of the expat life is the horrible exchange rate!). I'm catching up at work and also working at the Ralph Lauren store at the US Open for the next week and a half. And puppy sitting for my best friends as I simultaneously retreat in their high rise apartment on the Upper East Side. It's a really busy but also, quiet time. The city is dead for the holiday weekend which is both eery and pleasant (and also thankfully, makes puppy walking a breeze down Park Avenue). So I'm in recovery mode here after powering through the summer with rehearsals, shows, and traveling. And with visitors in town almost every weekend for the next two months, downtime must be relished in the present. Meanwhile, my trip made me realize how hard I've been working this summer and how fast it all has gone by. I've made progress professionally speaking and have been saving money like crazy as a result of being so focused, but my social life has suffered a bit. So I've decided to continue prioritize auditioning for the fall but perhaps take a break from evening shows. It's time I start balancing work and life with a little less structure-we are on the market after all! Fall is one of my favorite times of year, and it's the perfect time to be out and about in the city before the winter weather hits. Everyone will be back in place next week (Fashion Week, too!) and it's time to bring back happy hours, afternoons at the museum, brunches and bottles of wine stateside-continue living the expat life right at home.

I'm On the Market & In the Moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment